In a case that has some calling it disturbing, a 70 year old male home care provider was arrested recently and is facing charges that he sexually abused a 21 year old disabled client. Anthony Raniello was arrested and is currently being held in lieu of $105,000 bond or $52,500 cash.
Mr. Raniello pleaded not guilty to the charges when he faced a judge in a Southampton Town Justice Court for his arraignment. As noted in the Newsday article, Home health care worker sexually abused disabled person, cops say, written by John Valenti:
“A Southampton Town Justice Court spokeswoman said Raniello was being held in lieu of a $105,000 bond or $52,500 cash after pleading not guilty at his arraignment on Monday.
Police said Raniello, a “direct care professional” with a home health care agency in Lake Ronkonkoma, picked up the victim, 21, at a home in the Town of Southampton and then took the victim to his boat in Hampton Bays, where the sex abuse occurred.”
Authorities did not release any other information at the time of Anthony Raniello’s arrest, nor did they have comment about the case. There was no public word about which home care agency the provider had been working for or how long he may have been conducting this level of service.
Neither Mr. Raniello nor his attorney made any public comment and there was no public statement about the victim, what services may be provided to the victim to help in this case, or how authorities were tipped off that the abuse had occurred. There was also no indication from investigators whether they were looking into the possibility of other abuses against previous clients.
The case is being held over for trial currently and there’s no indication that the age of the alleged perpetrator in this case will have any bearing on the case as it moves forward.
Abuse of the elderly and disabled often carried stricter penalties for those found guilty than similar crimes committed against other individuals. Mr. Raniello was charged with second-degree sexual abuse and first-degree endangering the welfare of an incompetent person.
There was no immediate word on a court date and at the time of the publication of this news article, it was not made clear whether Mr. Raniello had secured the funding for bail.
Latest posts by Valerie VanBooven, RN BSN, Editor in Chief of HomeCareDaily.com (see all)
- Maestro-Connections Home Health Systems to Pay $1M in Fines - December 14, 2017
- New Home Care Registry Law Draws Concern by Some in the Industry - December 13, 2017
- The Unintended Impact of Unexpected Home Care Costs - December 12, 2017